Monday 14 November 2011

Practice

I had a thought come to me about how my daughters practice piano. There are days when they really don't want to practice. Lately though I've been seeing a world open up for Davita. Jenaya must have gone through that too....but I see it more clearly in Davita right now. She is discovering that working through her piano is really getting her somewhere.The songs are sounding better and more impressive.She is playing the same notes, but she is really getting to know how to read her music and she is discovering so many different combinations and possibilities. She memorizes pieces and then forgets some pieces, but she is progressing. I realized today too that I am reading my Bible in much the same way that she practices her piano There are days when I don't feel like it. There are times I don't feel like I'm getting a whole lot out of it and that it's stuff I know already. Why are we going so slow? Why can't I play the song already?  But the more I practice, the more I realize how much more there is. The more I practice the more I love what I am learning. I don't even have to worry so much about what I've memorized and forgotten, because I tend to do that. I am discovering now that I can pick up my Bible and it is getting easier to read, to play, to see. I imagine God watching me practice like I watch Davita practice. It feels good, because despite the mistakes Davita makes, I love seeing the way she gets better every day and the love that is growing in her heart for something she is working at. 

And I love that picture of God watching me practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment