Saturday 5 November 2011

The Woman On The Train

I once saw an elderly woman on a train and the image of her crying is one I still carry with me after fourteen years. Her hair was whitish grey and hanging loose. She had a large coat on. She said the words "Ik kan het niet meer." (I can't do it any longer.) I still remember wanting to go over to sit with her and put my arm around her. But I didn't. I wonder how many of us on that train were seeing her but pretending not to. Hearing her but minding our own business. I will make excuses now and say that I probably wasn't old enough to sit with her- I couldn't possibly understand what she at her age had been through. Or maybe she was mentally unstable, dangerous, drunk...My language skills weren't good enough. My faith was weak. I would have to get off the train soon. I still imagine myself going to her and sitting with her. Caring without action isn't really caring. She is someone I carry with me not only because I regret not helping her, but also because I need to remember what it feels like now to have done nothing. I pray for her now and others like her. Help me to see, Lord and not be blind. Forgive me, Lord and don't let my doubts and rationalizations get in the way of your guidance and the love that we are called to share.

1 comment:

  1. Great reminder to go beyond our 'comfort' in reaching out to help comfort others.

    ReplyDelete